Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Perhaps it has not been a full month, but it feels like it has been longer - since I have been able to sit down and write a proper entry about our exploits here in South America.

Currently, I am back in Buenos Aires. Though my frame of mind is much better now that I am surrounded by familiar and friendly faces, the last three/four weeks are still a bit of a haze. I think I will need a few more days to settle into the stable life here in Palermo before I go back and recite the choas that led us here.

For now, I am just grateful to have space and time to breathe. We have been on the run since leaving Chiloe and it (I think) has resulted in some pretty harrowing experiences. Of course, the challenges have only strengthened our resolve and I remain the optimist about the remainder of our trip, as well as our move to California.

We are currently looking at our budget for the rest of the trip, but I think another two months here would be reasonable. We will certainly make it to Peru, but whether we go through Paraguay and Bolivia or Argentina's Salta and the Chilean Atacama to get there is still up in the air. Depending on that decision, we will decide whether we try to make our way up to Ecuador and Colombia. It may turn out that Colombia is the most economical option for a flight home - not a bad excuse to go there (assuming you needed one).

Until these decisions are made - we will continue to keep a low profile here in BA. Since arriving we have been hanging around the flat, walking a little, catching up with friends, etc.. But we won't just sit on our hands. Last night we all went out to an underground tango hall in an old cathedral. We stayed until three in the morning watching couples of varied skill level test their partners. I believe Kaitlin and I will go for our first lesson tonight - maybe in three weeks we'll have the courage (and skill) to take the floor.

1 comment:

  1. Not that you are counting them, but I vote for Colombia. We just returned from Peru, and it is fairly expensive there, at least transportation seems to be. Also, the Atacama does stretch up much of Peru:)

    Having spent a few months in Colombia, I can say it is much cheaper than Chile and maybe even Ecuador for the basics- and easier to get around as well. Well, rest well, and I'm enjoying your posts :)

    ReplyDelete